Phonogram wh

This is the place for parents to seek advice, share common experiences and meet like-minded parents.

Moderators: Marcia, Halene, Phyllis

Phonogram wh

Postby nicku » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:05 am

I say "when" as "wen"; I do not add any extra breathiness to the "w" sound as suggested in WRTR. I am Australian. Am I saying this wrongly?
nicku

Postby Carole » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:00 am

Dear Nicku

This post concerned the pronunciation of the "wh" phonogram. Yes, there is a difference in the sound of this phonogram and the sound of the "w" phonogram. Any good dictionary should clearly show this. That is why it is never "safe" to rely on one's own way of pronouncing words. Pronunciation does vary in different parts of the world, and although saying "wen" may sound correct to your ears, it is not correct with the dictionary. When in doubt, always check the dictionary.

Carole
Carole

Postby nicku » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:00 pm

Carole wrote:Dear Nicku

This post concerned the pronunciation of the "wh" phonogram. Yes, there is a difference in the sound of this phonogram and the sound of the "w" phonogram. Any good dictionary should clearly show this. That is why it is never "safe" to rely on one's own way of pronouncing words. Pronunciation does vary in different parts of the world, and although saying "wen" may sound correct to your ears, it is not correct with the dictionary. When in doubt, always check the dictionary.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1992, shows the pronunciation of when as /wen/ and that of web as /web/. Does your dictionary distinguish between the pronunciation of the initial sound of when and web?
nicku

Return to Home Educator Community