Spalding cursive

This is the place for parents to seek advice, share common experiences and meet like-minded parents.

Moderators: Marcia, Halene, Phyllis

Spalding cursive

Postby Wordweaver » Wed May 30, 2007 4:19 pm

My son will be attending a new school which uses Spalding for fifth grade in the fall. When I asked what their expectations were regarding cursive at the school, I was told that it would be covered as part of their Spalding training. The woman at the office couldn't tell me if this would be a specialized style of cursive or not, and suggested I ask about it at this web site.

I have been using a book called Cursive Connections which is "a traditional style" according to its authors. Can I continue using this workbook, or is there another type of cursive he should be practicing in order to be ready for Spalding?
Wordweaver

Postby Carole » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:16 am

Spalding cursive writing is shown and explained in The Writing Road to Reading text. It is likely different than the program you have been teaching.

I recommend you ask to see a copy of The Writing Road to Reading at the school your son will be attending. Perhaps you can borrow a text from them; if not, you may order your own copy from Spalding Education International by calling 602-866-7801. This would be an excellent resource for you as you help your son transition into a Spalding school.

Carole
Carole

Postby Wordweaver » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I think that will be a very helpful resource, both now and down the road.
Wordweaver

Return to Home Educator Community